Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Acrylic Paint Splatter Mani

Hello my fellow polish addicts! I'm so excited to share my mani with you today because it was so much fun to do and I think it turned out pretty good! I've been loving the paint splatter technique and finally decided that I was brave enough to try it! I wanted to use acrylic paint rather than polish though because of several reasons. Acrylic paint is much cheaper, it dries flatter and it washes off with water so if you mess up a nail you can just rinse it off and start over! Then when you're done with the mani and your top coat is dry you can just wash the mess (and there WILL be a mess!) off your skin - no acetone! With as dry as it's been around here I can use all the help I can get!


I used OPI Alpine Snow for a base coat. Then I just put a small bit of paint in an old ice cube tray and add a few drops of water to thin it out. Then use a regular paint brush and hold it over your nails and tap it until you like the way it looks. Wait until the acrylic paint is dry before attempting a top coat - I learned this the hard way!! It will smear all over the place and you will have some funky looking nails! Here are my instruments of torture:

acrylic paint for splatter nails

paint splatter nails tools

Here is the awesome mess that I made! You could tape off around your cuticles and that would make the cleanup a little easier if you want but I didn't!!

 
paint splatter mess

And here is the finished product! I'm thinking of making a video on this technique, what do you think, should I? I don't know, maybe paint splatter nails are "over," but I still like them and I never claimed to be fashionable!

Paint splatter nails

 
My next attempt may have to be a water marble but that may be a while off - the idea still scares me a little bit! :)

14 comments:

  1. great effect!Lovely blog. What about following each other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought to do this with acrylic paint. I've tried a couple of times with polish, but it just didn't work, I tried different size straws, everything - I gave up!! But,now that I see this, I may try again with acrylic paint. Very pretty and I love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! The further back you hold the paint brush, the better the splatter effext. If you hold it towards the bristles you end up with more "dots" and less "strings". If you try it let me know how it turned out!

      Delete
  3. I really like this mani :) The colours are lovely too. I might try this with acrylics rather than polish. And definitely give water marble a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! You should def try it, it was such fun!

      Delete
  4. That looks messy, but really, really cool! I have a whole drawer of that kind of paint, so I'm excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure to wear old clothes! You'll have to post it on your blog when you do it!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm very partial to bright, neon colors and tend to wear them all year!

      Delete
  6. How cute is your Dora mat! Great mani not sure I could deal with all the mess though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My daughter was quite distraught that I was making a mess on her mat! I love messes! I also totally love your user name - that's awesome!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks! I felt like a little kid while I was doing it!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not put any links in the comments! Your comment will be deleted, thank you! :)